Part 5 of 5: The Bottom Line
Many vendors offer ITAM tools to inventory and audit data center assets, including web-based, visualization, connectivity modules, and mobile devices to make inventorying and auditing easier.
When properly implemented in the data center, ITAM tools can help to increase inventory accuracy and reduce the time and manpower required for inventory and audit processes. The ROI for ITAM is simple:
- Fast. ITAM solutions can provide quicker physical IT asset audits in the data center and throughout the enterprise.
- Easy. ITAM solutions can provide easy to navigate interfaces that work with your existing processes to improve performance.
- Real. ITAM solutions can provide real data through actionable exception reporting and open interfaces to other systems.
- Cost-effective. ITAM solutions cost far less than manual data center audits and can save time and money in daily operations.
ITAM Solution Checklist
When selecting an IT Asset Management solution, it must meet the following criteria to ensure the highest level of efficiency, accuracy and usability within the data center:
- Predefined, customizable manufacturers list to ensure uniform data collection
- Granular audit tracking
- Advanced reporting capability including a full complement of canned reports and a custom reporting engine
- Ability to manage multiple data centers
- Full integration with DCIM tools
- Browser-based, compatible with all web browsers as well as iPad and smartphones
- Dynamic rack elevations
- Top-down data center views
- Customizable labels to match existing tools
- Full IT asset tracking via portals with email, text, and ability to trigger work tickets
Read the whole 5-Part Series: IT Asset Management: By the Numbers
- What is IT Asset Management (ITAM)
- Why Inventory & Audit the Data Center?
- The High Cost of Manual IT Asset Management
- The Bottom Line
Download the complimentary white paper: IT Asset Management: By the Numbers Calculating the ROI of and ITAM Solution